Thursday, September 9, 2010

Stop the clocks???


A few days ago, I talked to this very old friend of mine from my first school, after a very  long time. Last time I talked to him was way back in 5th standard, and then he got transferred. Anyway, now while we were talking he says, " Remember when we were kids. Didn't we just wanna grow up??". I do not recollect much from the fifth standard, but surely could not disagree with his claim. For me, these Dadas and Bhaiyyas from the upper classes were so cool that we just wanted to be like them when we would grow older.
It was the 90s and the Indipop revolution was at its top. Shaan, Sagarika, Anamika, Silk Route, Junoon(pakistani rock but still), Alisha,and atleast a dozen of other pop singers and Daler Mehndi emerged into the scene of Hindi music. And the walkman was launched in India that time. All of the Bhaiyyas would have it. It was kind of a status symbol back then. These Bhaiyyas would bring it to school to, of course, show off. But then there were people those days buying into the idea that Walkman was cool. All the girls loved it. plus us young blossoms would gather around them to have a taste of the music to the ears. The influence of English Music was always there, but at their home rather than school, and at walls rather than the Music Player.

They used to get all the amazing outfits and accessories. Leather Jackets, boot cut jeans, big brown Iron boots, cool black sunglasses and all. My dad worked in a PSU in Assam, so I had the privilege to attend a lot of social parties and meets at clubs. These Bhaiyyas would come up in jackets and all like even in summer times. And they would sport long hair, which was again cool in the Ice age. The term "Jhakaas" was actually used. 

The most important reason we wanted to be like them was for the girls. They would hang out with absolute chics of the time. We used to be the messengers sending out messages to the senior girls from the senior boys. If you have happened to see the first episode of Just Mohabbat, It was something like that. And secretly, we would be hoping that our share of girls grew up fast!!

The college bhaiyyas/didis were one of their kinds. They would come for their summer holidays and when you go visit them, they'll be like" Are Alok, tu Itna bada ho gaya? Tu Is class me pahunch gaya??". And you can only smile back. Itna common sense to hona chahiye but.


And When I caught up my teens, it was the 21st century. everything was gonna change forever. Sunglasses or Leather jackets were gonna be the things of the past. The Old Walkman was gonna go out of the window forever. Himesh would dominate the music screen, and so would Lady Gaga. People, and even the girls would talk freely about ma and behen, and middle finger would be mostly used to show act of rage and aggressiveness. Long hairs would be hated and scalp showing would become fancy.Also, the goaty beard.
 
The change was not absolutely radical. It was more like the On demand change. We are blessed to be living the life that we are. Absolutely amazing. While I was still day dreaming about the school days and now, My friend asks me, "Kabhi kabhi aisa lagta hai ki fir se school time me chale jaye??:)". I was like, " Na baba! I am fine here". The guy dint reply back. I will have to call him lagta hai. Bura man gaya hoga.




 

2 comments: